Tuesday, January 30

Emotional Blackmail

I am the victim of emotional blackmail.
And the annoying thing is that the one perpetrating the blackmail is only eight months old!
 
Most mornings I escape being manipulated in such a way, as my daughter tends not to wake up until about eight o'clock (unless her emerging teeth are bothering her, she does seem to sleep quite well these days which is a blessing for all of us really), however on other mornings - and today fell into this category - Kirstyn will be up and about as I get ready for work. 
 
And she is a very happy child in the mornings (lord knows where she gets this from as neither me or her mother are sociable animals until the second coffee is surging through the system), she's all smiles and giggles and is playing quite nicely. 
 
All smiles, that is, until I put my coat on. 
 
Once I pull the sleeves of my jacket on, the smile fades, the giggles stop and I am officially sulked at. The bottom lip is stuck out, and a sad little face peers at me as if to say: "How can you even think about leaving the house?".  Now I know this is all for effect as I have it on good authority that as soon as I actually leave the house the smiles and giggles return.  However as I try to leave, she will do everything in her (albeit limited) power to make me feel as guilty as anything for having to go off to work.  And, let's face it, it's not as if I actually want to leave in the first place!
 
I knew daughters would try their best to wrap their fathers around their little finger, also she's a woman so emotional blackmail comes as naturally as swimming does to fish, however I wasn't prepared for the assault to begin at such a young age.  The cheeky madam. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home