Friday, May 19

George Orwell has a lot to answer for..

So another series of Big Brother kicked off on Channel 4 last night. 
I cannot believe that this is the seventh series of the show.  I feel a certain affinity with the show as the first series started not long after I moved into my own house (blimey back in 2000) and seeing that I was temporarily too poor to do anything else apart from watch telly, I got drawn in.  Therefore, when it re-appears annually I am somewhat reminded that there's another year gone by where I haven't actually got round to decorating the master bedroom.  But anyway..

It did strike me last night, as I watched the latest collection of self-obsessed wannabes walk into the newly designed "inside-out" Big Brother house, that although I like the format of the show, I actually find most of the actual contestants hateful.  You see, rather like politicians, I think wanting to be on Big Brother should automatically exclude you from being considered as a housemate.  Instead Channel 4 and Endemol should be able to draft unsuspecting members of the public, and force them (possibly at gun point) to participate in the show.  It could be like the King's shilling: you'd finish your pint and notice that from the bottom of the glass, the "Big Brother" eye embossed onto a coin staring back at you and that meant you'd been "volunteered" for the show.  Or, failing that, you could be walking home one night when you're suddenly knocked unconscious and the next thing you know you wake up in the BB house.  Game on.  That way we really would get a diverse and representative collection of housemates as opposed to the vacant collection of walking stereotypes Channel 4 seems to pick each year.

But I, like everyone else, will continue to tune into the show as the voyeuristic appeal is hard to beat.  The petty fights, arguments, tension are compelling viewing and there's always the promise of little bit of nudity so we can all get our cheapies!  Who will win?  I don't care.  Will I vote?  Will I fuck.  I am already struggling to recall who won it last year as at least with Big Brother it really is the taking part, and not the winning, that matters.  But please, can we have another way of choosing housemates next year?  Cheers.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home