Monday, January 10

The Wizard of Ozz

The drive to work is a fairly tedious affair. Actually it's not, the M60 is chock-a-block with nutters, kamikaze pilots behind the wheels of their cars, lemmings with driving licenses.. They're all there, doing sixty in the outside lane or changing lanes right in front of you without indicating, swerving like motherfuckers. It's actually amazing that I get here in one piece, and to be honest if it wasn't for the fact that I'm still 85% asleep on the drive in, I'd probably be a nervous wreck by now (or in a body bag, one or the other).
However, it is tedious doing the same drive day in, day out and you need some good tunes to help you make it there with your sanity (or, in fairness, what's left of my sanity) intact. And also, because my generation has a short attention span I tend to have to change the CDs in the car on a regular basis. Now there seems to be a bit of a void in "new" music at the moment, so every now and then I have to go all retro and select a suitable blast from the past.
This morning was one of those mornings.
So before leaving the house this morning, I went to the CD archives and perused the titles within.. nothing inspired for a while until my eyes fell upon the title "Diary of a Madman".
I'd not heard that album for years, so I off I went to work with the CD in the player.
It's a shame that most people these days will only know the "comedy" Ozzy Osbourne all shaky, slurred and slow (indeed, they probably hadn't even heard of him until he became all TV friendly and his missus got on X-Factor), as he really was a great frontman. A really awful alcoholic and drug-abuser too.. but some of the songs he wrote were fabulous and "Diary" also has the genius Randy Rhoads on guitar too..
Anyway it was nice to go back to the early eighties this morning and remember Ozzy when he still had some musical credibility..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home