Friday, January 7

Middle age beckons

Cos today I bought coasters..
Sheesh..
Never did I think it would come to this..

It all started over Christmas when I thought that some sort of coffee table might be a good idea for the lounge. When you're a student having everyone place their cups/glasses/plates on the floor when not actively using them is all well and good.. but it's been a few years since I was a student

..indeed it's been a few too many fucking years since I was a student..

So I found a nice, cheap coffee table on the Argos website and set about constructing it last night.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but flat-packed furniture is supposed to be a challenge, right? It's the sort of thing we blokes secretly relish because, amongst all the swearing and losing our temper, patience and sense of humour it feels manly to be assembling wardrobes and tables and corner units and stuff. Is it quite as manly as walking into a forest, chopping down a large oak and whittling a chest of drawers using only a Swiss Army Knife? Well, no, perhaps not, but there is something about building shit that makes you feel good. I personally blame Mecano, or Lego for starting the trend in my formative years..

Anyhoo.. where was we?

Ahh yes.

So, yeah, I was really looking forward to some serious foul language (you can type fuck but it is so much more satisfying to shout it when you slip and the screwdriver takes off a top layer of skin right along your finger) but to my amazement (and, ultimately, my disappointment) said table was easily assembled within five minutes. Start to finish, a measly 300 seconds. That's pish. Now don't get me wrong the tables all good and lovely, but I feel like I've been robbed somehow. Robbed of annoyance and frustration and a chance to unleash the pent up anger that having to go back to work this week has planted deep within me.

Anyway, this has lead to the coaster purchasing incident.. Now my carpet will no longer be soaking any spillages, and due to the fact that wood isn't all that porous it became clear that coasters would no longer have to be the trappings of posh people, but I too would have to invite the coaster into my house. So I have four. They are quite funky - all frosted glass and with a nice geometric design on them, but at the end of the day I cannot feel I am selling out by having them..

Am I reading too much into this or are my wild, carefree days behind me now..?

2 Comments:

Blogger Toaster said...

What you really want to do is put something really hot on your coaster. Something like an iron (left plugged in.) It'll melt your coaster, burn the 300 second table, make you swear and give you the opportunity to go by a more challenging product to assemble.

Ever built a barbeque?

12:03 pm  
Blogger SilentBazz said...

Hmm I hate to think what I'd have to place on a glass coaster in order to get it to melt.. I am now curious to try, but it's certainly an idea (although if I was that determined I might be so wanton as to just say "To hell with the coaster - let's go nuts!!").

Never built a barbeque - nealy built a car-beque though (see the entry from November 4th 2004)!!

1:19 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home