Friday, January 21

Hey pig piggy pig pig pig..

..all of my dreams came true
Well not all* - I didn't win the double rollover, my car didn't suddenly turn into a Ferrari overnight and no-one has greenlit "Paid Breaks" to be a multi-million pound Hollywood movie.. However I have found a new source of BitTorrents on the web and that was in the list of definite wants..

So I decided to find out finally, once and for all, the answer to the question:

The Streets - lyrical genius or is it just a load of poorly rhymed bollocks..?

Of course if the former were proved to be true then I'd be making a purchase in HMV (actually, fuck that, I'd never pay their prices but Music Zone might get a look in or failing that, Play.Com), and if the latter was the case well I could always free up the space on my hard drive.

You see some of the stuff I've heard from The Streets has been quite good ("Fit but you know it" and "Dry your eyes" being two examples), however when I first heard "Blinded by the lights" I did think that was an utter pile of festering shite with some of the dodgiest rhymes known to man..

So do you see my dilemma?
Is it genius or is it just a bit pants?
Is The Streets the musical equivalent of The Emperor's New Clothes?

So I have listened..
..and I have listened again..
..and you know what?

I'm still undecided.
Maybe the genius everyone speaks of is this ability to put a whole new form of apathy into the listener, so much so that they actually cannot form their own coherent opinion but end up buying the album anyway because it gets so much fucking airplay on the radio and it just kind of gets in your head..
Who knows?
Will try and give it another serious listening as I feel I cannot sit on the fence on this issue and feel compelled to decide one way or the other..
Until then, the truth is out there
(probably)



* -It's just a shameless attempt to get a Nine Inch Nails mention in this blog entry, have I mentioned that they're touring this March, don't you know?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home