Saturday, September 2

Is it worth the risk..?

So as you may or may not know I have a Sony PSP, which I think is a fairly groovy gadget. Games, music, podcasts, WiFi, Internet, movies - all in the palm of your hand: that is pretty funky. And I've been very pleased with it, you essentially have a playstation 2 in the palm of your hand, and the design of the thing, including the brightness and clarity of the screen is second to none.

But yesterday, it was announced that the Firmware I am on (2.71) had been hacked, and a "downgrader" had been released which would allow me to downgrade the firmware on my console to 1.5, opening up the world of homebrew to me and my PSP.

What this means that I can run a whole load of "unsigned" applications on my PSP (unsigned meaning unauthorised by Sony) which range from emulators of consoles like the Sega Megadrive (have seen a PSP running this with Sonic and it was flawless) and 8-bit computers like the C64 (have seen Uridium running on a PSP - equally flawless), through to programs like GPS maps, and also programs that allow you to run games off the memory stick (should you want to ahem back up your game UMDs).

So I have now downloaded all of the files to make my 2.71 PSP a 1.5 PSP.

They're sat here right on my hard drive..

So why am I waiting?

Well there is a risk, albeit a small one if you follow all the instructions correctly, that you can brick your PSP. By brick, we basically mean render it as nothing more than a very expensive paper weight...

So.. decisions, decisions..

What should I do..

More later..

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home