Friday, August 18

Need some Dutch Courage

So yesterday, according to multiple sources, Liverpool Football Club agreed a fee for Dirk Kuyt from Feyenoord.  Signing a new striker should be exciting, but I must admit that I feel completely underwhelmed by Rafa's latest addition to the squad.  And the thing that niggles me the most is that this whole feeling of unimpressedness is based, not after watching footage of Kuyt playing, but purely on the reaction of other Liverpool fans I've spoken to. 

I'll admit, I really don't know that much about the player, the Dutch league not really being of that much interest to me.  I saw a bit of Kuyt playing in the World Cup (and only kept an eye out for him then because the transfer rumours about his move to Anfield began at the end of last season), and must admit that I didn't see anything particularly special.  However, after the experience of seeing signings of players who do (inexplicably) have a good World Cup before immediately going back to being woefully mediocre once the ink is dry on their new contract (Diouf for example), I've learnt not to take one tournament's performance as too much of an indication.  I mean, one should only look at the England squad's woeful performance in Germany as an example of that, they were completely dire and yet no-one would argue that the likes of Gerrard, Terry, Cole, etc aren't anything but World Class players.

But, for me, the real damning evidence as to why I shouldn't be too excited about this signing could be seen in  the news reports last night.  Yes they all covered the signing, but when they showed footage of Kuyt, not one of the news channels had footage of Kuyt actually finding the back of the net. 

That's worrying, no? 

Surely if you're signing a striker it's because he can score hatfuls of goals?  (Again with the exception of Diouf).  So where was the footage of Dirk launching a twenty-five yard screamer into the top corner of the net?  Or of him poaching a cheeky little tap in from a few yards out?  They were both scarily absent..

So, my scepticism increases. 

However, my faith in Mr Benitez to do the best for the club remains unshaken.. surely he must have seen something in this latest signing that leads him to believe Dirk can do the business.  As I've said before, I reserve the right to change my mind and would love Mr Kuyt to prove me wrong and become a prolific scorer.  I await the new season with baited breath..

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home