Friday, January 20

A long expected delivery..

So my order from Amazon finally turned up..

The best part of Mr Postman bringing me my Amazon package this morning is that I finally have Lumines for my PSP which is a very funky puzzle game in a similar vain to Tetris, although the concept is actually easier to grasp and that's probably why it's so damned addictive. It also has very funky visuals and a banging soundtrack which makes it very, very cool indeed and an ideal title for this sort of portable gaming device in my humble opinion..

So am pretty pleased about that to be honest, especially seeing as it's only taken three weeks for Amazon to sort their shit out and get what I ordered to me. Which I think is fairly reasonable from the UK's leading online retailer, isn't it? Wankers. Worry not, they've had some suitably snotty emails from me whilst I awaited my order to actually arrive. I like writing snotty emails. It makes my day..

Also in the order, of course, was the "Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking" book.. so the process of quitting will begin...

..at least it will as soon as I finish reading John Peel's excellent autobiography which I got for my birthday. It's so well written (well, so far) that you can literally hear John's voice as you read each sentence, if it broke for a tune every paragraph it would be like a new edition of the John Peel radio 1 show..

Anyway tis a fabulous read and I cannot put it down until I finish it..

..but then reading time is severly limited by the amount of quality television that's about at the moment..

After a barren pre-Christmas schedule, it seems that all the quality has come (almost) at once... The Beeb has launched "Life On Mars" and "Hotel Babylon" both of which are excellent and are so good because they don't look like your standard BBC fare, they're slick, well scripted, well edited, funny and interesting - who knew that anything not written by Russell T Davis could be so good?

And then Sky One has stepped in with series two of "Battlestar Galactica" and series 5 of 24 arrives soon and Channel Four continues to amuse with "Celebrity Big Brother" (sad I know, but I love it) and "Shameless" (which isn't as good as it used to be, but is still the best thing at 10pm on a Tuesday evening.. Channel Four is also showing "Invasion", a modern spin on the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" theme, which I've yet to decide whether I actually rate or not, even after three episodes.. Anyway the Sky Plus planner is positively creaking under the amount of quality viewing available and if that's not enough to cope with series two of Lost is getting really good too..

..so you can see that getting started on the quitting process is actually trickier than you might initially think - I still have cigarettes left after all. However still having ciggies is supposed to be a good thing according to other people who have read Allen Carr's book. Allegedly you're supposed to smoke all the way through reading the book and by the end you'll have convinced yourself to quit.

I remain a little sceptical about this claim.

However, I'm prepared to give it a fair crack of the whip.

I'm even more sceptical about the claim in the preface that I will quit "Without Use Of Willpower; Without Suffering Withdrawal Symptoms; Without Putting On Weight (actually you might be a bit late there, Mr Carr) and Without Using Shock Tactics, Pills, Patches Or Other Gimmicks".. if this is true, then why are there any smokers left in the world? (especially when the blurb on the front screams: "Over five million copies sold").

Despite all of the above I honestly am going into this with an open mind and a determination to quit..
..honest..

Anyway, have a nice weekend y'all.. see you on the other side of the weekend

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home