Monday, October 11

Organised religion can kiss my arse

Anyone who knows me knows that I am an atheist and have been since a stupidly young age.. Now, I don't condemn anyone who has (or follows a) faith, it's just my personal belief that all this talk of a "one true god" is a crock of shit. Sorry if I offend anyone by saying that, these are my beliefs, and this is my blog so if you want to go on and preach about a heavenly father and all that then you can do so elsewhere (and I won't hold it against you if you decide to, either).
Anyway, this meant that I was put into something of a dilemma when my sister asked me to be my nephew's Godfather. Now my little nephew, Jamie, must be the coolest little dude who has ever walked the planet, so it was a major honour to be considered for the role. And, it was a responsibility I wanted to take on seriously, as if the kid ever needs anything then I want to help him out (and I would have done as an Uncle anyway, but now I have a double responsibility being his Godfather too).
Plus, I'm sure it'll give me many an opportunity to do some great Marlon Brando impressions in the future (or even Robert DeNiro impressions if I'm in a "Godfather Part II" kinda mood).
But I was aware that this would mean having to go to a Church and make all these statements about raising little J to follow God or Jesus or both of them even..
So do you see my dilemma?
Anyway, I thought my responsibility to my nephew far outweighed any objections I might have to organised religion (in all fairness the dilemma only lasted about a millisecond in my head anyway) and I quickly agreed.
The other thing that helped is the fact that neither my sister or Ian are really religious either, but as they'd both been Christened they didn't want to disadvantage Jamie in anyway by not having him Christened. After all, we all have free will and if J wants to become a practicing Christian, then he should be able to do so, yeah? Abso-frigging-lutely. So at least by being Christened he can make his own mind up and won't be hindered, due to a lack of baptism, if he wants to go to Church.
So all well and good, yeah?
Well I thought so.
What we hadn't bargained on was the fucking sourpuss of a Vicar, who proceeded to open the whole service with what amounted to a fifteen minute bollocking of everyone sat there in the Church for people not following in the way of God. You could just hear everyone shift uncomfortably in their seats as they were forced to listen to this man belittling them (and let's face it he didn't know any of us from fucking Adam, there may well have been people there who attended Church daily for all he knew) for not following God and Jesus, and not taking the service seriously. So he managed to turn what was supposed to be a joyous celebration into a telling off.
What a wanker.
It's not difficult to see why congregations are falling all over the country if this is the sort of self-righteous asshole who conducts services up and down the country. Here was his opportunity to speak to people who might not normally attend Church (religious or not), but rather than welcoming them, and maybe even helping a few to think "Well that was nice, I'd like to go to Church more often" he stood there and ripped into them for a quarter of an hour.
Cunt.
Sorry, but it really wound me up, it annoyed everyone who was there and took the shine off the service (thankfully, the miserable turd didn't turn up to the pub for the party afterwards, despite being invited, so at least he didn't bring his own brand of bitter misery there and ruin that too).
If that's what organised religion is all about it can kiss my arse.

1 Comments:

Blogger SilentBazz said...

Do you think if I'd have done that he would have really known that I was a little ticked off though?
Isn't what you're suggesting just a little subtle?

4:53 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home